Self-introduction letter

 Dear Professor Blackstone,

My name is Quek Wei Hau. I am writing an introductory letter to you hoping you would get a better understanding of me as a person. I am currently studying under you in your effective communication skills class for MEC 1281.

I graduated from Singapore Polytechnic with a diploma in aeronautical engineering in 2018. My interest in mechanical engineering came from my interest in machines and their ability to solve a wide array of problems. Why I chose mechanical engineering instead of continuing in the aviation sector is due to its versatility. Specialization isn’t a bad thing but personally would prefer having more career options available to me which were partially motivated by the declining aviation sector caused by covid-19.

Identifying a strength I possess is not an easy task. The closest aspect that I would consider a strength is that I like to go straight to the point. Naturally, I am an impatient person which probably largely contributed to developing this trait of mine. This skill also tends to allow me to pick out the main points of what the other party is trying to convey efficiently. Writing professionally is my main weakness when it comes to communication. I find myself rarely writing formal letters or communicating to another party in a professional setting. Lack of experience and fear of disrespect has been major driving factor in me being uncomfortable when required to write professionally.

What differentiates me from other students in my opinion is that I am a quick thinker. This aspect was honed and cultivated during my time in National Service whereby I was in the air force as a flight line crew. I had my fair share of tense situations whereby thinking fast on my feet was crucial in resolving whatever issue the situation demanded.

My main goal for this module is to address the weakness that I had previously stated, especially so when I know that I would be using it often when I eventually enter the working environment. In addition, with lessons taking place online, I feel that my people skills have somewhat dulled substantially. Thus, another goal would be to be more confident and comfortable around a group of people.

Yours sincerely,

Quek Wei Hau

 

Commented on:

Jayme Lim

Victor Chua

Benjamin Song

Peerasak

Updated on: 02 February 2022

Comments

  1. All the required information is covered in a well structured manner. Good to see your goal linked back to your weakness in communication! Thank you for sharing your experience and also the well elaborated reasoning on why you have decided to pursue a degree in mechanical engineering as well as the details pertaining to your communication strength and weakness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written and elaborated. Thanks for sharing about your weaknesses, experience and goals. Would love to see your goals acheived by the end of this sem and even in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wei Hau! Thank you for writing. The points that you stated, were well elaborated. I believe that with this type of writing consistency, you will be able to conquer your weakness of writing a letter in a professional manner soon. Keep up the good work and see you around in school!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Wei Hau,

    Thank you for this expressive letter, and for sharing your experience with us! I believe the required information was covered in your writing. However perhaps instead of writing:
    -My main weakness regarding communication is to write in a professional manner.
    You could write:
    -Writing professionally is my main weakness when it comes to communication.

    It was a pleasure reading your introduction letter. Looking forward to seeing more of your work in the future!

    Warmest Regards,
    Jia Xin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback Jia Xin. Changes have been made.

      Delete
  5. Dear Wei Hau,

    Thank you for this generally clear, concise and informative letter. You do a good job covering the scope of the assignment as you explain your educational background, connecting your career choice to your interest and current sense of the job landscape, as well as your comm skills and aims for the module. It's interesting how you tie your directness in communication with your impatience. The trait of impatience may make writing more burdensome for you too since when we rush through something, the minor mistakes will tend to pop up. (I'm as guilty of that as anyone.)

    You also mention how your experience in NS has led to you becoming a quick thinker. That is clearly an important trait in many lines of work, so that should serve you well.

    Since improving your writing skills is one of your goals for this module, please have a look at these points for revision:

    1. sentence structure
    -- My name is Quek Wei Hau, I am writing an introductory letter... > (comma splice) ?
    -- Specialization isn’t a bad thing but personally would prefer.... > (missing subject)
    Specialization isn’t a bad thing, but I would prefer....

    -- Especially so when I know that I would be using it often when I eventually enter the working environment. > (fragment) ?

    2. verb issues
    -- ...problems that arises. > ?

    3. overuse of caps or missing punctuation
    -- I graduated from Singapore Polytechnic with a diploma in Aeronautical engineering in 2018. > (unneeded cap) ?
    -- Yours sincerely > (missing comma since you use American style in the salutation)

    4. lack of clarity
    -- Specialization isn’t a bad thing but personally would prefer having more options available to me which were partially motivated by the covid-19 situation in the aviation industry. > (What motivated what?) ?

    -- ...whereby thinking fast on my feet was crucial in resolving whatever the issue demands as efficiently as possible. > (What had to be resolved as efficiently as possible? Perhaps this: ...in resolving whatever issue the situation demanded.)

    I appreciate your willngness to up your game in this module, and look forward to seeing the progress.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your time Professor. I have taken your feedback into account and edited my letter accordingly. Appreciate the pointers and looking forward to learning much more from your lessons.

      Yours sincerely,
      Wei hau

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Paraphrase of task #3

Critical Reflection