Critical Reflection

Module Learning:

Throughout this course, I had no expectations whatsoever as these kinds of modules have been notorious for being a waste of time. However, the experience that I had gained during my time attending the classes has been invaluable and held dear to my heart. From making new friends to learning effective industrial communication, the journey was a short but fruitful one. Fortunately, my time in this module was when the covid situation was stabilizing and it had allowed some extent of physical interaction. I could not fathom going through this course completely online while feeling that I could have gotten much more from face-to-face interactions. Thanks to this course, and the many interactions that it comes with, my confidence level has gone up a notch plus the knowledge that has been bestowed to me by Professor Brad has made me more prepared for the industrial world. Not only has Professor Brad improved me as an engineer/person, but his enthusiasm and life experience have also made each and every lesson much more enjoyable than the usual "useless mods". 


The first portion of the module was writing a personal letter about myself. It was an interesting and innovative way to learn about the students while at the same time teaching them how to write a proper letter. Through the exercise, I learned about the 7Cs, the paul-elder framework, etc. These tools now at my disposal, have significantly improved my writing abilities. I had stated in my introductory letter that one of my goals was to improve my professional writing and I felt that this exercise was a great starting point. Next in line was writing a summary reader response for a particular article. It gave me a glimpse of the writing skills that an engineer has to have at a very basic level. It required me to relearn old techniques that were once forgotten like citations and paraphrasing which would definitely prove useful in my future modules. 


Project Learning:

The main event of this effective communication module is the presentation and technical report which highlights the very purpose of why this module was created in the first place. The project was a typical engineering-based assignment but what captured me was the concept of pitching ideas to strangers or people in positions of power. The concept was akin to a show that interested me in the past called "Shark Tank" which similarly allows startups to pitch and propose their ideas to potential investors hoping to reel them into their project. We are also required to do pitches albeit towards each other as roleplay.  It gives me an opportunity to practice proposing my idea to a person of power in a short and compact presentation to get their involvement in my project. Thankfully there was a mock presentation and multiple mini-pitches to get us warmed up for the actual formal presentation. It was a great chance for me to practice my oral presentation skills while simultaneously being able to observe other more gifted presenters in order to learn from them. I was impressed by the skills that some of my classmates possess such as pitching without a script or conversing in a calm and cool demeanor which are traits that I strive to achieve. Eventually, during my formal presentation, I was to able replicate the aforementioned traits by presenting with minimal words on my slides, focusing on delivering information orally while trying my best to stay calm throughout the process. Although it was not perfect, personally I felt that it was a major milestone that I had finally managed to achieve. 


Overall, the outcome of the course was a fruitful and engaging one. It exceeded my expectation from a "useless mod" to a lesson that I looked forward to weekly. The two goals that I set out for myself, increasing confidence and professional writing ability, have been achieved satisfactorily. Having essential communication skills is not only beneficial as an engineer but also as a normal person. Having a great idea or product would amount to nothing with weak communication skills. Being unable to convey your thoughts properly or having poor writing skills is detrimental to one's career or social standing. With feedback garnered from Professor Brad and my classmate, I will take them to my heart to improve upon myself including future feedback that I would eventually encounter. Thank you Professor Brad for your guidance and my classmates for being such great companies.


Date/Time: 09042022, 0030hrs


Comments

  1. Dear Wei Hau,

    Thank you for this richly detailed, well organized critical reflection. I appreciate how you’ve addressed both facets of the assignment – module learning and the project -- and that you considered these areas in depth while focusing on various aspects of the work you did and the skills achieved.

    In addition, you've written with very good fluency.

    Best wishes as you continue your learning journey!

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Professor Blackstone,

      Thank you for your reply and I hope to see you around in school. :)

      Best wishes,

      Wei Hau

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Self-introduction letter

Paraphrase of task #3